Universe: Samurai Jack
Debut: Samurai Jack - "The Beginning" (2001)
Aku, also known as "the Shape-Shifting Master of Masters," "the Deliverer of Darkness" and "the Shogun of Sorrow," is an extremely powerful demon wizard whose primary ability is shape-shifting, though he does possess other powers. He constantly antagonizes Jack, often attacking him when he is weak, and other times defending himself from Jack's own gambits. The two seem doomed never to defeat each other, for though Jack has defeated him on numerous occasions, Aku merely transforms into a creature and escapes, usually calling out a taunt over his shoulder, a fact that he is entirely aware of.
- Aku's name is the Japanese word for "evil."
- Aku was originally meant to be a serious and intimidating villain in Samurai Jack, but also later developed into a comical villain.
- In Samurai Jack, Aku is voiced by the legendary Japanese voice actor, Mako Iwamatsu. But due to his death in 2006, he is voiced by Greg Baldwin in the show's fifth and final season.
- Greg Baldwin previously voiced Aku in the video game, Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, as well as its console port.
- In April 2017, Aku was placed at #3 on WatchMojo.com's top ten cartoon villains of the 2000s, and #10 on their top ten cartoon villains of all time.
Want to know more about Aku? Visit the website below.